Prayers for Women
God calls us to come to Him in prayer. He wants our praises and petitions; He wants the concerns of our hearts. He invites us:
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
- Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
(Philippians 4:6, 1 John 5:14, Matthew 7:7,8)
Prayer for marriage
Lord God, you are the creator and giver of all good gifts. We thank you for the gift of marriage and the joy it brings to husbands and wives. Thank you for the gifts of companionship, children and intimacy, given that we might delight in these blessings from your hand. Thank you for those who live their marriages in a way that reflects your love and provides encouragement to others to see the beautiful design of your plan.
But Lord, there are also many who are hurting and struggling in their marriages. Relationships are filled with resentment, a feeling of loneliness and a lack of fulfillment. Forgiveness is smothered by blame and self-centeredness, while others long for healing with a spouse who is unwilling. Alcoholism, abuse and countless other sins divide partners and destroy souls. Father, reach in with your healing hand to change hearts. These are souls that you love, children that you have redeemed through the blood of Your Son, and marriages that you alone can restore. Comfort those who turn to you for help, and strengthen those who seek You in your Word. Remind us that we can trust you when we feel like we can trust no one, we can love and forgive only when we receive those gifts from you first. Grant wisdom and hope when it seems helpless and overwhelming. Be with those who are heart-broken and empty. Drive us to your Word where we find you, and let your grace bring us all that we need. In Jesus name, Amen.
Strengthen me as a wife
Lord Jesus, You have redeemed me and made me Your precious daughter. Thank you for your gifts of grace, forgiveness and perfect love. Allow me to bask in those gifts and let them permeate every part of my life. Strengthen me through Your Word to be the wife you desire me to be, that I could honor you in my life and marriage. Strengthen our marriage to be a reflection of Your perfect love – the radiance of grace and commitment that you have shown to us. Give me Your eyes to see my husband as precious soul for which you died; and give me Your heart to love him in response to the intimate love you have poured out on me. Forgive me when I fail Lord. In my stumbling and sin call me to account and drive me to the cross. Find me there, comfort me with your salvation and guide me on the path of righteousness so that everything I do brings glory to Your name and light to a dark world. You are my Savior and my God, whom I love and proclaim, Amen.
Heavenly Father, You are my joy and greatest delight. Help me to always treasure the precious relationship we share. Remind me of its cost, Lord – the priceless blood of Your Son – and keep me humble and thankful for Your grace. But let that beautiful message also draw me to you and motivate me in all I do. Let Your salvation be my true source of joy and strength as I live for you. Encourage me to be a loving wife even when I don’t want to. Give me a longing for Your Word that I can be found daily seeking You in Scripture. Daily, Lord! Don’t let me become complacent or forgetful but put the desire in my heart to be at Your feet learning and growing in the knowledge of grace and wisdom. Teach me Father! Open my eyes to the insights and riches of your Word, to understand how to be a wife that honors You. And when I am reminded of all you want me to be, don’t let me suffer long in the discouragement of my sinful flesh. By Your soothing Word show me how everything for my salvation is finished, calm my burdened heart with the unchanging truth of Your vicarious atonement. My heart is Yours Jesus, not because I give it to you but because You have purchased it. What grace and mercy I have! Accept my love in grateful thanks, Amen.
Prayers for your husband
- Pray that your husband will grow spiritually and consider his accountability before the Lord. Pray that he will guard his heart by developing spiritual disciplines—Bible reading and study, prayer, meditation, scripture memorization, etc. (2 Pet. 3:18; Prov. 4:23)
- Pray that your husband’s relationship with God and His Word will bear fruit in his life. Pray that he will be a man of wisdom and understanding, fearing the Lord. (Prov. 3:7, 9:10; Ps. 112:1)
- Pray that your husband will be humble and quick to agree with God about his sin. Pray that his heart will be tender toward the voice of the Lord. (Ps. 51:2-4; Micah 6:8)
- Pray that your husband will grow in leadership skills in your relationship—protecting and providing for you. Pray that he will lead you wisely and love you sacrificially, so that God will be glorified in your marriage. (Eph. 5:25-29; Col. 3:19)
- Pray that your husband will be faithful to his wedding vows. Pray that he will have a desire to cultivate your relationship as a sign of his loyalty and commitment to you, and as a picture of Christ’s love for the Church. (Prov. 20:6; Gen. 2:24)
- Pray that your husband will love righteousness and hate wickedness, especially the evils of the culture. Pray that he will recognize and avoid wickedness in his own life, and if necessary, take a clear, strong stand against evil. (Prov. 27:12; John 17:15; 1 Cor. 10:12-13)
- Pray that your husband will safeguard his heart against inappropriate relationships with the opposite sex. Pray that his heart will be pure and undivided in his commitment to you. (Prov. 6:23-24, 26; Rom. 13:14)
- Pray that your husband will work hard to provide for your family, to the best of his ability. Pray that the character qualities necessary for a successful career and ministry will be a growing part of his character – persistence, decisiveness, strength, an analytical mind, organizational skills, positive relationships with people, determination, etc. (Rom. 12:11; 1 Cor. 15:58)
- Pray that your husband handle finances wisely, will have discernment concerning budgeting and investments, and will be a good steward of his money in regard to giving to the Lord’s work. Pray that money will not become a source of discord in your family. (Prov. 23:4-5; Rom. 12:13; Heb. 13:5)
- Pray that your husband will cultivate strong integrity, and not compromise his convictions. Pray that his testimony will be genuine, that he will be honest in his business dealings, and will never do anything that he needs to hide from others. (Prov. 20:7; 1 Tim. 1:5, 3:7; Eph. 6:10-12)
- Pray that your husband will have a humble, teachable spirit and a servant’s heart before the Lord. Pray that he will listen to God and desire to do His will. (Prov. 15:33; Eph. 6:6)
- Pray that your husband will yield his sexual drive to the Lord and practice self control. Pray that your sexual intimacy together will be fresh, positive, and a reflection of selfless love. (Prov. 5:15, 18; 1 Cor. 7:3; Song of Solomon 7:10)
- Pray that your husband use practical skills to build your family and make wise decisions for your welfare. Pray that he will serve unselfishly. (Gal. 5:13; Phil. 2:3-4)
- Pray that your husband will speak words that build you and your family, and reflect a heart of love. Pray that he will not use filthy language. (Prov. 18:21; Eph. 4:29)
- Pray that your husband will choose his friends wisely. Pray that God will bring him men who will encourage his accountability before God, and will not lead him into sin. (Prov. 13:20; Prov. 27:17)16: Pray that your husband will choose healthy, God-honoring activities. Pray that he will not live in bondage to any questionable habits or hobbies, but that he will experience freedom in holiness as he yields to the Spirit’s control. (1 Cor. 6:12, 10:31; 2 Tim. 2:4)
- Pray that your husband will enjoy his manliness as he patterns his life after Christ and strong men in the faith. Pray for his physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual strength. (Eph. 3:16; 1 Peter 2:21; 1 Cor. 10:11)
- Pray that your husband will have an eternal perspective—living in light of eternity. Pray that he will reject materialism and temporal values and put God first in his life. (Matt. 6:33; Deut. 6:5; Eph. 5:16; Ps. 90:12)
- Pray that your husband will be patient and a man of peace. Pray that he will not give in to anger, but will allow the Holy Spirit to control his responses. (Rom. 14:19; Ps. 34:14)
- Pray that your husband will yield his mind and thoughts to the Lord. Pray that he will not entertain immoral or impure thoughts, and that he will resist the temptation to indulge in pornography. (Prov. 27:12; 2 Cor. 10:5)
- Pray that your husband will learn how to relax in the Lord and, in his greatest times of stress, find joy and peace in his relationship with God. Pray that he will submit his schedule to the Lord. (Neh. 8:10; Prov. 17:22; Ps. 16:11)
- Pray that your husband will practice forgiveness in your relationship and with others. Pray that he will recognize any roots of bitterness, and yield any resentment and unforgiving attitudes to the Lord. (Eph. 4:32; Heb. 12:15)
- Pray that your husband will be a good father—disciplining his children wisely and loving them unconditionally. If he is not a father, pray that he will find a young man to mentor in the things of the Lord. (Eph. 6:4; Col. 3:21; 2 Tim. 2:1-2)
- Pray that your husband will have a balanced life—that he will balance work and play. Pray that he will fear God, but also gain favor with people he knows at work and church. (Luke 2:52; Prov. 13:15)
- Pray that your husband will be courageous in his stand against evil and injustice, and that he will stand for the truth. Pray that he will protect you and your family from Satan’s attacks. (Ps. 31:24; Eph. 6:13; Ps. 27:14)
- Pray that your husband will discover and live his God-given purpose. Pray that he will offer all his dreams to the Lord, and pursue only those goals that will bring God glory and count for eternity. (Jer. 29:11; 1 Cor. 10:31)
- Pray that your husband will understand the importance of taking care of his body—the temple of the Holy Spirit—for the glory of God. Pray that he will practice self-control by making wise food choices, and get sufficient exercise to stay healthy. (Rom. 12:1-2; 1 Cor. 6:19-20, 9:27)
- Pray that your husband will be a man of prayer. Pray that he will seek and pursue God in purposeful quiet times. (1 Thess. 5:17; Luke 22:46; James 5:16)
- Pray that your husband will surrender his time and talents to the Lord. Pray that his spiritual gifts will be manifest in his career, at church, and in your home. (Eph. 5:15-16; 1 Cor. 12:4, 7)
- Pray that your husband will serve God and others with pure motives. Pray that he will obey the Lord from his heart, and glorify Him in everything. (1 Cor. 10:13; John 7:17-18; Col. 3:23-24)
- Pray that your husband will recognize the lies of the Enemy in his life. Pray that his attitudes and actions will be guided by the truth as he brings his thoughts into captivity to the Word of God. (John 8:44; 2 Cor. 10:4-5)
Scriptural Prayers for Your Child
- Growth in grace. “I pray that my children may grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 3:18).
- Love. “Grant, Lord, that my children may learn to live a life of love, through the Spirit who dwells in them– (Gal. 5:25, Eph. 5:2).
- Honesty and integrity. “May integrity and honesty be their virtue and their protection” (Ps. 25:21).
- Self-control. “Father, help my children not to be like many others around them, but let them be alert and self-controlled in all they do” (1 Thess. 5:6).
- Love for God’s Word. “May my children grow to find Your Word more precious than much pure gold and sweeter than honey from the comb” ( Ps. 19:10).
- Justice. “God, help my children to love justice as You do and act justly in all they do” (Ps. 11:7, Mic. 6:8).
- Mercy. “May my children always be merciful, just as their Father is merciful” (Lk. 6:36).
- Respect (for self, others, authority). “Father, grant that my children may show proper respect to everyone, as your Word commands” (1 Pet. 2:17).
- Biblical self-esteem. “Help my children develop a strong self-esteem that is rooted in the realization that they are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus” (Eph. 2:10).
- Faithfulness. “Let love and faithfulness never leave my children, but bind these twin virtues around their necks and write them on the tablet of their hearts” (Prov. 3:3).
- Courage. “May my children always be strong and courageous in their character and in their actions” (Dt. 31:6).
- Purity. “Create in them a pure heart, O God, and let that purity of heart be shown in their actions” (Ps. 51:10).
- Kindness. “Lord, may my children always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else” (1 Thess. 5:15).
- Generosity. “Grant that my children may be generous and willing to share, and so lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age” (1 Tim. 6:18-19).
- Peace-loving. “Father, let my children make every effort to do what leads to peace” (Rom. 14:19).
- Joy. “May my children be filled with the joy given by the Holy Spirit” (1 Thess. 1:6).
- Perseverance. “Lord, teach my children perseverance in all they do, and help them especially to run with perseverance the race marked out for them” (Heb. 12:1).
- Humility. “God, please cultivate in my children the ability to show true humility toward all” (Titus 3:2).
- Compassion. “Lord, please clothe my children with the virtue of compassion” (Col. 3:12).
- Responsibility. “Grant that my children may learn responsibility, for each one should carry his own load” (Gal. 6:5).
- Contentment. “Father, teach my children the secret of being content in any and every situation, through Him who gives them strength” (Phil. 4:12-13).
- Faith. “I pray that faith will find root and grow in my children’s hearts, that by faith they may gain what has been promised to them (Lk. 17:5-6, Heb. 11:1-40).
- A servant’s heart. “God, please help my children develop servants’ hearts, that they may serve wholeheartedly, as if they were serving the Lord, not men” (Eph. 6:7).
- Hope. “May the God of hope grant that my children may overflow with hope and hopefulness by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Ro. 15:13).
- Willingness and ability to work. “Teach my children, Lord, to value work and to work at it with all their heart, as working for the Lord, not for men” (Col. 3:23).
- Passion for God. “Lord, please instill in my children a soul that ‘followeth hard after thee’ (Ps. 63:8, KJV), one that clings passionately to you.”
- Self-discipline. “Father, I pray that my children may acquire a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair” (Prov. 1:3).
- Prayerfulness. “Grant, Lord, that my children’s lives may be marked by prayerfulness, that they may learn to pray in the Sprit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests” (Eph. 6:18).
- Gratitude. “Help my children to live lives that are always overflowing with thankfulness and always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Eph. 5:20, Col. 2:7).
- A heart for missions. “Lord, please help my children to develop a desire to see your glory declared among the nations, your marvelous deeds among all peoples” (Ps. 96:3).
Prayer for Someone Ill
Heavenly Father, Creator of all things and Master Physician, we thank and praise you for your love and mercy. We thank you for sending us a Savior and giving us the faith to believe your many promises. You have seen fit to allow this illness to visit your servant [insert name]. In these difficult days, we ask you to bring your comfort to him/her and those who love him/her. Help them focus on your promise not to let anything come to them that is not for their ultimate good and blessing. Give them the strength to face each new day with the confidence that you are in control and working only for their good. Bless the work of the physicians and other caregivers as they provide care. If it is your will, restore [insert name] to health; nevertheless, let your will be done. We place [insert name] wholly in your hands. We come to you in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior, confident that you hear and answer our prayers. Amen.
Prayers to Open Bible Study
- Heavenly Father, as we gather together to study your Word, we pray that you would send your Holy Spirit to be with us. Clear our minds from the distractions and concerns of the day and open our hearts to receive the truth of your Word. Guide our study and discussions that we may grow closer to you and honor you in all we do and say. Strengthen our faith according to the promises in your Word and bind our hearts to one another in fellowship and love. May the words of our mouths and the meditation of our hearts be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, our Rock and Redeemer. Amen.
- Lord Jesus, it is a privilege and pleasure to gather together as sisters in Christ to study your Word. Bless our time together and strengthen our faith with your Word. Deepen our understanding of your truths and grant us wisdom as we learn to apply all that we have studied. When we see the truth of the law in your Word, pierce our hearts to see our sin, and then quickly comfort us with the blessing of your gospel. When we feel discouraged because we cannot keep all your commands, remind us that Christ has indeed lived a perfect life on our behalf. Help us focus on your amazing gifts of grace, forgiveness and righteousness. May our time together leave us with joyful hearts, renewed faith, confidence in the gospel and motivation to live for your glory. In the name of Jesus our Savior we pray. Amen.
Hymn Verses to Open Bible Study
Lord, open now my heart to hear,
And through your Word to me draw near.
Let me your Word e’er pure retain;
Let me your child and heir remain. Amen.
Christian Worship Hymn 282 v. 1 (public domain)
Lord, your words are waters living where I quench my thirsty needs.
Lord, your words are bread life-giving; On your words my spirit feeds.
Lord, your words will be my light through death’s cold and dreary night;
Yes, they are my sword prevailing and my cup of joy unfailing. Amen.
Christian Worship Hymn 283 v. 3 (public domain)
WELS Women’s Ministry provides resources for individuals and congregations nationwide. Consider supporting these ministries with your prayers and gifts.