EXCEL IN THE GRACE OF GIVING
DEADLINES FOR YEAR-END GIFTS
Please note the following deadlines if you’d like your gift to be made in 2021 for tax purposes:
- A gift by check is considered completed when the check is postmarked (USPS) by Dec. 31.
- An online credit card gift must be successfully charged to your account by midnight on Dec. 31. This generally happens immediately when the gift is made.
- An online electronic funds transfer (EFT) gift must be processed by WELS in 2021. The deadline for these gifts is 4:30 p.m. (Central) on Wed., Dec. 29.
- A gift of stock or mutual funds must be received by Dec. 31. The date of transfer is the date of the gift. Note this may take a few days, so the earlier the better. Please inform WELS of what you are donating by contacting WELS Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-256-3213.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR QUALIFIED CHARITABLE DISTRIBUTIONS FROM AN IRA:
For a qualified charitable distribution, the funds must come out of your IRA generally by Dec. 31. (If a donor writes a check to WELS from an IRA account, WELS must be able to cash the check by Wed., Dec. 29.) We encourage you to consult your financial and tax professionals before requesting a qualified charitable distribution.
WELS Center for Mission and Ministry, Waukesha, Wis., will be closed to celebrate the Christmas and New Year holidays on Dec. 24, 27, and 31.
Ways to Give and Invest
How can I support a ministry today?
You can donate online at your convenience. Simply select the ministry you’d like to support and choose from the drop down menu a more specific designation if you’d like.
Can I make a gift that has an ongoing impact on ministry?
WELS Foundation manages endowment funds that support not only synodical ministries, such as missions and our ministerial education schools, but also helps congregations, schools, and other ministries set up and manage endowment funds. As these funds grow over time, distributions are made to the designated entity to help support its ministry work.
Learn about WELS Foundation
Can my gift be matched?
As a benefit to employees, former employees, and even employees’ spouses, many companies match gifts to charitable organizations like WELS. This is particularly true when the gift is designated for a school. Learn if your gift can be matched, or contact your employer.
Are there any investment options?
The WELS Church Extension Fund offers the opportunity to invest in savings certificates, loan certificates, or retirement certificates. Your investments fund loans made to WELS churches for special projects.
Learn about WELS Church Extension Fund
WELS Investment Funds offers four cost-effective, professionally managed investment portfolios exclusively for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, its subsidiaries, congregations, and affiliated ministries.
The WELS Endowment Fund seeks to maximize the long-term growth of principal and is designed primarily for endowment funds. The WELS Endowment Fund is composed of 75% equity and 25% fixed income and has a long-range investment time horizon.
The WELS Balanced Fund seeks to reduce potential volatility by including fixed income securities. It is composed of 60% equity and 40% fixed income and has a mid- to long-range investment time horizon.
The WELS Equity Fund seeks long-term capital growth by investing in a portfolio of equity securities that is well diversified by industry and company size. WELS Equity Fund is composed of 100% equities and has a long-range investment time horizon.
The WELS Income Fund seeks to provide income by investing primarily in investment quality debt securities. It is composed of 100% fixed income securities and has a short- to mid-range investment time horizon.
Learn about WELS Investment Funds
Who can I contact for help?
Each of the 12 WELS districts has Christian giving counselors who know well the principles of Christian stewardship and can assist you making gifts to support WELS gospel ministry. There is no fee for the services of a counselor. He is qualified to assist you by:
- Giving you the latest information about WELS ministry opportunities or projects of special interest.
- Giving you counsel in developing a plan for regular, faithful Christian giving.
- Providing advice on which gifts are best for family and which are best for ministry.
- Sharing ways to reduce taxes and increase giving.
- Helping with putting together or reviewing your Christian estate plan.
- Providing information about donor advised funds, trusts and annuities and how they can be used to accomplish charitable giving.
- Helping you find the professionals you need to accomplish your Christian giving.
- Giving you information about how you can participate in designated giving.
WELS Church Extension Fund provides loans and grants to qualified mission congregations, so that through the acquisition of land and a ministry facility the gospel can be spread.
WELS Foundation exists to assist God’s people in support of God’s ministry through the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.
WELS Investment Funds provides cost effective, professionally managed investment portfolios exclusively for WELS and affiliated organizations.
Try our Advanced Search instead.
WELS Center for Mission and Ministry
Stone Ridge Drive
Waukesha, WI 53188
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.