The Pastoral Studies Institute (PSI)
Walking with kingdom-committed spiritual leaders worldwide
In partnership with WELS Joint Missions, Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary’s Pastoral Studies Institute provides pre-seminary and seminary training to North American students from a variety of countries and cultures. As WELS congregations reach out to refugees and immigrants with support and the gospel, candidates for pastoral ministry are introduced to the PSI Team. Training is provided at the local level, where a candidate’s local WELS pastor serves as his PSI Supervising Pastor. In many cases this training leads to international opportunities as well, since many of these spiritual leaders want training both for themselves and for church leaders in their countries of origin.
In addition, around the world Christians looking for gospel training contact the regional WELS World Missions teams and other churches in our fellowship. Many of these individuals, churches, or synods are seeking support, training, and connection to a church body that shares the truth of God’s word and the good news of salvation through Christ. PSI stands ready to assist regional missions teams in the evaluation process and to provide consultation and support in the area of theological education leading to fellowship.
For seminaries and Bible institutes of our fellowship throughout the world, the PSI Team provides consultation on curriculum and educational practices. Upon request, PSI coordinates advanced degree programs for pastors of these church bodies. PSI arranged visiting professors serve the various needs of these programs. Since the program began, faculty members have taught in Apacheland, Bulgaria, Colombia, East Asia, Ethiopia, Germany, Hong Kong, South Asia, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, the Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine, and Zambia. Each year they serve hundreds of students.
- Train and encourage stand-alone, confessional, evangelical pastors
- Teach a distinctively Lutheran curriculum that equips and inspires workers to pass it on
- Deliver the Lutheran curriculum contextually in a culturally appropriate way
- Rely on a mentoring approach which allows for a broad assessment of knowledge, skill, and character
- Look to the national leaders to lead in the planning, teaching, and evaluating
- Provide the opportunity for students to learn best by teaching in their own language
- Seek an authentic collaboration with all key stakeholders
Meet the PSI Team
Rev. E. Allen Sorum
Rev. Jon BareWELS
Rev. Bradley WordellWELS
Consider supporting the Pastoral Studies Institute (PSI) with your prayers and gifts.
Browse through and share pictures of the Pastoral Studies Institute (PSI) in action.