Mission History in Ethiopia
1959: The Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane (EECMY) becomes a legally registered national church.
2007: Rev. Dr. Kebede Getachew Yigezu attends Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri (LC-MS), to receive advanced theological training and begins to fully understand confessional Lutheran theology.
2013: Kebede and 56 members leave the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane for doctrinal reasons and registers the Lutheran Church of Ethiopia (LCE) with the Ethiopian government. Kebede also founds the Maor Lutheran Theological Seminary which is authorized to offer bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees.
2014-2015: The LCE is visited by various representatives from WELS World Missions, Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, and African representatives from the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference.
2017: WELS declares fellowship with the Lutheran Church of Ethiopia at the Synod Convention.
2019: A new multi-purpose building to house the Maor Lutheran Seminary operated by the Lutheran Church of Ethiopia is dedicated in Bishoftu, Ethiopia.
2021: The Lutheran Church of Ethiopia numbers 421 members in one congregation and four preaching centers (Adama, Addis Ababa, Wukro, and Dukem).