Asia Lutheran Seminary
Located in Hong Kong, Asia Lutheran Seminary (ALS) was established by the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) in 2005. ALS, by God’s grace, strives to produce students who are personally rooted in the Scriptures and have a passion to share the Gospel with as many people as possible. The foundation of our doctrine is the word of God, as explained in the Book of Concord, 1580. ALS professors believe, teach, and confess that proper use of Law & Gospel provides the only biblical motivation for helping Christians to become like Christ.
ALS consists of three full-time Anglo professors, one full-time Chinese professor, and additional adjunct faculty. ALS specializes in teaching the biblical languages of Hebrew and Greek. ALS uses like-minded Chinese theologians to assist with teaching in the classroom, especially in the area of practical theology. ALS professors also offer support to South Asia Lutheran Evangelical Mission (SALEM), WELS’ sister church and mission partner in Hong Kong.
- There are 10 national pastors and 48 current Asia Lutheran Seminary students serving in East Asia.
- Asia Lutheran Seminary currently serves 209 students in five different program levels (single subject, leadership certificate, associate, bachelor, master).
- There are about 38 Asia Lutheran Seminary graduates who are working full-time in the public ministry in East Asia.
- Asia Lutheran Seminary graduates in Hong Kong now serve 11 local churches of the South Asian Lutheran Evangelical Mission (SALEM), WELS’ sister church, with a combined membership of over 2,100 souls.
- Asia Lutheran Seminary conferred six Bachelor of Theology and nine Master of Divinity degrees in 2020.
- This past semester, Asia Lutheran Seminary offered a free, online short course. Since May, 199 new students have signed up for this course.
- Two new teachers joined the staff at Asia Lutheran Seminary in Hong Kong. Professor Timothy Matthies is serving as the new Hebrew and Old Testament professor. Mr. Tony Barthels is teaching a “Life of Christ” course as an instructor.