WELS CHURCH EXTENSION FUND NEWS & UPDATES
Current stories and updates from WELS Church Extension Fund
Special rates from WELS CEF
If requests for loans from the WELS Church Extension Fund (CEF) are any indication, new mission starts through WELS Home Missions are on the rise and congregations are expanding their facilities. CEF makes loans below or at market rates for WELS churches that are either new and building for the first time or established congregations with a new mission-focused initiative.
CEF funds these loans through WELS congregations’ and members’ investments in CEF products. With the need for funds increasing, CEF is offering special terms and rates for new investments to raise an additional $8 to $12 million in investments. “If you are not an investor in CEF this is a great opportunity to support ministry. If you are already an investor, this is a great opportunity to increase your support of ministry by increasing your investments,” says Mr. Scott Page, director of WELS CEF.
Investment options include expanded terms for loan certificates and retirement/IRA certificates. One of the features of this special offer includes an annual interest rate that is distributed and compounds quarterly.
“We’re offering significantly above market rates for new investments,” says Page. “Congregations are eager to grow, and now’s the time to fund that need.”
Investing in the WELS CEF is not only a smart way to manage personal finances; it also supports the mission of the church. Rev. Keith Free, administrator for WELS Home Missions, says, “The continued investments of more WELS members and congregation gives CEF additional funds to support missions and mission-minded congregations.”
This information is general in nature and should not be considered as specific or comprehensive advice. WELS CEF does not provide legal, accounting, or tax advice. You may want to consult your attorney and/or tax advisor as to the applicability of this information to your own situation.
The purchase of WELS CEF securities is subject to risks, which are described in our Offering Circular. This is not an offer to sell, nor the solicitation to buy, our securities. We will offer and sell our securities only in states where authorized. WELS CEF certificates are unsecured general debt obligations. WELS CEF is not a bank or regulated financial institution.
This offering is made solely by the Offering Circular.
*Not FDIC or SIPC insured *Not a bank deposit *No Synod guarantee
Loan and Grant Highlights
- $32.8 million of new loans and $4 million of new grant requests were approved in fiscal year 2015-16
- 43 total origination projects were approved, including five land purchases, 25 new facility projects, and 18 other projects including renovations, increases, and refinances
- 16 congregations were approved for new construction loans with final loans expected to total $28.2 million
- Six mission congregations purchased existing facilities with additional loads for renovations, two mission congregations purchased land sites, and two missions completed a parsonage purchase
Operations and Support Highlights
- WELS CEF was blessed with an operational surplus of over $1.2 million for fiscal year 2015-16
- WELS CEF’s $139.7 loan portfolio includes loans to 208 WELS congregations and affilitiates
- Over 3,500 WELS members, congregations ,and affiliates have entrusted WELS CEF with $80.6 million in member investments
- $31 million of matching grants to mission congregations and $4.1 million of special grants to Home Missions have been provided by WELS CEF since 1993
- WELS CEF has been blessed with an average retention rate of 80% for maturing member investments
- WELS CEF has maintained a base interest rate of 3.75% for new loans to mission congregations in addition to its match grant programs for land and facility projects
- WELS CEF continues to offer loan financing opportunities for WELS self-supporting congregations
- A net asset distribution from WELS CEF of nearly $843,000 to Home Missions was approved to help support the opening of additional new missions