WHAT IS AN ENDOWMENT FUND?
An endowment fund is designed to make steady annual distributions that increase as the fund grows. A gift to an endowment is not spent immediately but invested in a diversified investment portfolio. Annual distributions provide ongoing financial support for WELS ministries.
- WELS endowments: The established WELS endowments provide regular support and stability for ministerial education, missions, and operating.
- Donor designated endowment: An individual or family can start an endowment through WELS Foundation to provide ongoing, dependable support for the benefit of ministries that touch their hearts.
- Congregation/organization endowment: A church or WELS organization can establish an endowment through WELS Foundation to benefit local and external ministry efforts. A Christian giving counselor can assist with setup and help churches with promoting gifts to the fund.
WHAT ARE THE FEATURES?
- Gift size: Minimum of $25,000 to establish an endowment. Once established, additional gifts may be added.
- Personalized: Give to or establish an endowment fund to benefit the ministry you want to support.
- Invested with WELS Investment Funds: WELS Investment Funds provides cost-effective, professionally managed investment portfolios for WELS, WELS subsidiaries, congregations, and WELS-affiliated organizations.
- Distributions: Distributions will be made annually to the WELS ministry you determine for your endowment.
- Lasting legacy: Endowments provide support for years to come.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Joy: Arrange to benefit the area of the Lord’s work that is closest to your heart.
- Flexibility: Give cash, appreciated assets, or a planned gift, such as through a will, trust, beneficiary designation on a retirement account, or insurance proceeds.
- Encouragement to others: Additional gifts may be added to an endowment by family or congregational members. For tips on encouraging others to give to your endowment, download our helpful Endowment Fund Media Kit or contact WELS Foundation at 414-256-3255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Predictable support: The WELS ministry you designate in your endowment can plan to receive annual distributions.
- Easy: WELS Foundation provides the necessary administration.
Endowment Fund FAQs
How is my endowment invested?
Your endowment is invested in the WELS Endowment Fund portfolio of WELS Investment Funds. The WELS Endowment Fund seeks long-term capital growth with some current income. It has a target asset allocation comprised of 75 percent equity and 25 percent fixed income and has a long-range investment time horizon.
When are the funds from my endowment distributed to ministry?
Funds from your endowment will be distributed each July to the ministry you have designated.
How is my endowment distribution calculated?
The amount distributed from your endowment fund to ministry is currently 4% of the prior 16-quarter (or since inception) rolling average market value of the fund as of June 30 each year. Contact us at WELSFoundation@wels.net or 414-256-3251 if you have questions about your annual distribution to ministry.
When will I get a statement about my endowment?
You will receive a statement for your endowment fund each January.
Can I (or others) make additions to my endowment ?
I’d like to update the purpose and history of my endowment in your records. How can I do that?
We’d love to help you with that! Updating (or adding) this information in your endowment records can help convey the purpose of your endowment to others and even encourage them to set up a similar endowment. Contact Ann Jahns at email@example.com or 414-256-3255 if you would like to do this.
What are the annual expenses of my endowment?
Featured Video: Endowment Funds
WELS has two main endowment funds that provide ongoing and increased financial support to synod missions and ministerial education.
Christian giving counselors are available to provide you with answers and knowledgeable advice.
Click here to add your own text