Read: John 17:1-11
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
We Have Hope Through the Word
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
We all like attention from important people in our lives:
- “Mom, watch this!” the little girl yelled as she jumped into the water.
- “James is our 6th grade class president,” his teacher announced. When James heard that, he sat up taller, grinning from ear-to-ear.
The point is, we appreciate when someone notices us or pays attention to what we are doing or saying.
Did you know Jesus wants YOUR attention? He loves to be noticed, watched, and listened to. Why? It’s not because Jesus feels ignored by his Father or because he doesn’t have any friends. No, Jesus wants your attention because he has a very important gift to give you: eternal life.
The night Jesus was betrayed and arrested; he said a special prayer. It’s called his High Priestly Prayer. In that prayer, he prayed for himself, his disciples and for you. But even when praying for himself, it really was a prayer for you! Everything Jesus had been doing was everything his Father asked of him to win an important gift— the salvation for the world. Now, that work was almost complete. Just one thing remained. He needed to give up his life on the cross.
Jesus prayed the Father would allow him to continue this plan all the way to the cross so he would have everyone’s attention. That’s what he means by the word glory. Jesus wants your attention because he gives the eternal life you and I need.
We weren’t born with the built-in right to eternal life We were born separate from God and under his condemnation. God did not want that to happen, so he sent his Son to die and rise from the dead to win eternal life for you. Jesus did exactly that! Does he have your attention now?
He most certainly does. Give Jesus and his Word all your attention. They give eternal life! You don’t want to miss out on that!
Ascended Lord and Savior Jesus, may I never lose my focus on you. Draw my attention to your Word where I can see your glorious promises and comfort that I am your child and will be with you in heaven forever. Amen.
The questions below are to help families discuss this devotion. The questions are divided by age group as suggestions, but anyone could reflect on any of the questions as they desire.
Questions for Younger Children
- Why does Jesus want our attention?
- How could we say thank you to Jesus for giving us eternal life?
Questions for Elementary Age Children
- What things in life distract you from paying attention to Jesus?
- Why is it so important that to pay attention to Jesus and our faith?
Questions for Middle School and Above
- It is not always bad to get people’s attention. How could you use your faith in Jesus in a good way to gain people’s attention for him?
- Read John chapter 17 on your own. We learn a lot about prayer from Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer. How does hearing Jesus prayed for you motivate how you pray and for what you pray?
Hymn: CW 173:2 – On Christ’s Ascension I Now Build
Since Christ returned to claim his throne, great gifts for me obtaining,
My heart shall rest in him alone, no other rest remaining,
For where my treasure went before, there all my thoughts shall ever soar
To still their deepest yearning.