When WELS meets in convention, delegates react to and adopt many resolutions. While those resolutions that provide direction for the work of the synod can sound businesslike with words like “whereas” and “resolved,” there are many statements of faith as well. Many reports and resolutions offer thanks to God for specific blessings or petition the Lord with particular requests.
The following is a sampling of those expressions of gratitude or petitions to the Lord from the convention reports and resolutions. They are offered here so that you can participate in these expressions of faith, just as your representatives did at the convention.
Resolved to give thanks to the Lord . . .
• for providing the annual funding for an archivist through Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary.
• for the work he is doing through the ongoing work of Christian Aid and Relief.
• for the work that the Conference of Presidents does in encouraging congregations to support our synod’s ministry plan.
• for the many opportunities to share the gospel with those around us and through the world.
• for the many opportunities to expand WELS ministry as reflected in the list of unfunded priorities.
• for the blessings bestowed upon new missions through WELS Church Extension Fund.
• for the unique blessings of our three-tiered ministerial education system.
• that many WELS congregations have taken advantage of more than two hundred Schools of Outreach since 1993.
• for the faithful work done by the Commission on Lutheran Schools in the area of developing Lutheran school leadership.
• for his servants’ faithful service as leaders in WELS.
Resolved to ask the Lord for . . .
• his blessings on the doctrinal discussions the Commission on Inter-Church Relations has with individuals and churches around the world who are seeking to take confessional Lutheran stances.
• courage and protection for those called to serve in places we ourselves cannot go and for those who live in these lands, often under dangerous conditions.
• generous hearts for his people to provide for the ministry financial plan.
• his blessings on the gospel ministry envisioned by the ministry financial plan.
• his blessings on the faithful work of the Christian giving counselors, who encourage and help Christians grow in the grace of giving.
• his blessings on the special offering to retire the synod’s $4.7 million debt.
Thanks to convention delegate and FIC contributing editor Prof. James Pope for ideas and his help with this story.
Do you have a manuscript, idea, or story from your own life you’d like to share for use in Forward in Christ or on wels.net? Use our online form to share it to our editorial office for consideration.
Get inspirational stories, spiritual help, and synod news from Forward in Christ every month. Print and digital subscriptions are available from Northwestern Publishing House.
Volume 102, Number 10
Issue: October 2015
Copyrighted by WELS Forward in Christ © 2019
Forward in Christ grants permission for any original article (not a reprint) to be printed for use in a WELS church, school, or organization, provided that it is distributed free and indicate Forward in Christ as the source. Images may not be reproduced except in the context of its article. Contact us