Through My Bible Yr 03 – January 29
Through My Bible – January 29
Revelation 21:9-21 (EHV)
See series: Through My Bible
The New Jerusalem
9 One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls that were filled with the seven last plagues came and spoke with me. He said, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
10 He carried me away in spirit to a great and high mountain, and he showed me the  Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It has the glory of God. Its radiance is similar to a very precious stone, like crystal-clear jasper.
12 It has a large, high wall. It has twelve gates. Twelve angels are at the gates, and twelve names are engraved on the gates, the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel. 13 Three gates are on the east, three on the north, three on the south, and three on the west. 14 The city’s wall also has twelve foundations, and on them are the twelve names of the Lamb’s twelve apostles.
15 The one who spoke with me had a gold measuring rod so that he could measure the city, its gates, and its wall. 16 The city is laid out as a square. Its length and width are equal. He measured the city with the measuring rod: 12,000 stadia.  Its length, width, and height are equal. 17 He also measured its wall by human measurement, which was what the angel used: 144 cubits.
18 The wall is made of jasper, and the city is pure gold, like pure glass. 19 The foundations of the city’s wall had been adorned with every kind of precious stone.
The first foundation is jasper,
the second sapphire,
the third agate,
the fourth emerald,
20 the fifth onyx,
the sixth ruby, 
the seventh diamond, 
the eighth beryl,
the ninth topaz,
the tenth turquoise, 
the eleventh jacinth,
the twelfth amethyst.
21 The twelve gates are twelve pearls. Each of the gates is made out of one pearl. And the street of the city is pure gold, like transparent glass.
- Revelation 21:10 A few witnesses to the text add great and.
- Revelation 21:16 The measurements are not converted to modern equivalents because that would make it more difficult to recognize the symbolical significance of the original numbers.
- Revelation 21:20 Or carnelian. The specific identification of these gems is uncertain. This translation uses names of recognizable modern gemstones, even if they might not have the same mineral makeup as the ancient stones.
- Revelation 21:20 Or chrysolite
- Revelation 21:20 Or chrysoprase
The Holy Bible, Evangelical Heritage Version®, EHV®, © 2019 Wartburg Project, Inc. All rights reserved.