As delegates discussed what WELS ministry will look like in the next biennium and beyond, Rev. Joel Otto, professor at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wis., reminded delegates on Tuesday morning about the importance of remembering the past.
As chairman of the WELS 175th Anniversary Planning Committee, Otto highlighted the plans being made to celebrate WELS’ 175th anniversary in 2025 under the theme “Christ Through Us”—a theme that dovetails with the upcoming synodical ten-year plan. Anniversary celebration plans include printed and digital publications as well as resources to help congregations not only commemorate WELS’ upcoming anniversary but also celebrate their own churches’ rich histories.
Planned resources include:
- A pictorial history of the Wisconsin Synod (1850–2025) along with accompanying documentary-styled videos.
- An update of The Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, a book recording the history of the Wisconsin Synod.
- An online interactive timeline of the synod’s history.
- Worship resources for anniversary services.
- Multiple articles in synod publications like Forward in Christ, Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, and the WELS Historical Institute Journal.
Otto concluded, “May the Lord continue to bless us as he has in the past, equipping and strengthening us to carry his message to future generations.”