Rev. Dan Sims, administrator for WELS Christian Aid and Relief, announced its annual grants for humanitarian aid. In contrast to disaster relief, which is given in response to various kinds of disasters when they occur, WELS Christian Aid and Relief also invites Home and World Missions to submit grant requests for various types of humanitarian aid projects as one way to show Christian love and compassion in a variety of ways. Here is his report:
At their May 17, 2022, meeting, members of WELS Christian Aid and Relief approved humanitarian aid grants totaling $628,480 for FY 22-23. This is the highest amount ever approved. These grants support projects developed by WELS home and world missionaries to reflect Christ’s love to the people of their communities. These acts of mercy and compassion regularly lead to opportunities to share the gospel.
Some examples of the compassion ministry being carried out in home and world mission settings include support for legal immigrants; Bibles for foster children and support for their families; books, backpacks, and other school supplies for underprivileged students; horseback riding for disadvantaged and differently abled children; food and personal items for struggling individuals and families; medical clinics; access to clean drinking water; mosquito netting; support for persecuted Christians; education for refugee children; vocational, technological, and agricultural training; scholarships for poor students; smokeless stoves for safer heating and cooking; and warm clothing for widows and orphans.
These Home Missions congregations received grants:
- African Chapel of Improvement, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Hope, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Christ the Rock, Farmington, N.M.
- Christ, Denver, Colo.
- Carbon Valley, Firestone, Colo.
- Risen Savior, Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
- Amazing Grace, Amarillo, Texas
- Hope, Houston, Texas
- Christ the Rock, Hutto, Texas
- Abiding Savior, Killeen, Texas
- Living Faith, Midlothian Texas
- Our Savior, West San Antonio, Texas
These World Missions fields received grants this year:
- Africa–Malawi, Zambia, Nigeria, and the Central African Medical Mission
- Asia–India, Indonesia, and Thailand
- Europe–Albania and Bulgaria
Serving with you in Christ,
WELS President Mark Schroeder