Ministry Ideas – use your gifts!
Praise God for the countless people who have, or are serving our country in military service.
Check out the “Military Services” page for great resources and insights on encouraging military families!
You may also want to consider actively demonstrating your appreciation for God’s gift of military servants:
- Consider a luncheon to thank the veterans in your area, perhaps on veterans day or election day? If you have a school, ask the children to sing some patriotic songs or express their thanks to the veterans.
- Create an appropriate place to post pictures of those who are or have served our country, or a scrapbook.
- Send cards and/or care packages to active service personnel. Perhaps a larger effort could be made to bless the entire company rather than just an individual.
- Combine your service project with an evangelism effort by hosting an event for the community (like the luncheon or care package drive) to get people inside your church and making them comfortable!
- Utilize a prayer list or prayer cards with the names of military individuals and their families. Pray for the families then tell them you’ve been praying (or send them a card to tell them).
- Be respectful, kind and patient with their families. They are likely dealing with stresses and difficulties that you don’t know about or understand. Go the extra mile to express your love and don’t forget to say, “thanks!”
Building Relationships in Christ
Coffee or tea can be a simple way to reach out with Christ’s love.
Don’t be afraid to just enjoy the relationship and start a conversation.
Be sincere and as you have opportunity listen to your friend’s heart.
What is causing her stress or anxiety? Is she discouraged or afraid?
Ask gentle and thoughtful questions to bring God’s perspective to things.
Here are a few ideas
“What can I pray about for you?”
“Can I share some Psalm verses that have brought me comfort?”
“Do you think talking about [forgiveness, guilt, heaven, etc.] would help you deal with this?”
“My faith has helped me in situations like this. I found that…[just talk about your faith!].
WELS Women’s Ministry provides resources for individuals and congregations nationwide. Consider supporting these ministries with your prayers and gifts.