About Adult Discipleship
The synod’s Adult Discipleship office exists to help adults grow in Christ’s love and live out their calling. The resources provided by the Commission on Adult Discipleship assist congregations and their leaders to lead members to see Jesus as central to their life and to equip them to use their unique gifts to bring the gospel influence into all their daily relationships. These resources promote spiritual growth through personal devotional life, Bible classes, family ministry, stewardship growth, congregational group encouragement, member involvement, elder training, and leadership development.
The work of Adult Discipleship spans most of the stated WELS objectives:
- To uphold and testify to the truth of God as fully revealed in the inspired, inerrant, infallible Holy Scriptures and articulated in the Lutheran confessions, and to use Scripture as the sole authority.
- To foster a sense of urgency for the lost and to seize every opportunity the Lord provides to evangelize lost souls.
- To establish churches where Christians help each other grow and mature in the faith through public worship and a lifelong study of the Word of God.
- To encourage and equip each other for the application of our faith, reflecting Christ’s love in lives of Christian service to the Lord, his Church, and his world.
- To mobilize our people, as members of the universal priesthood, in ministry using the Word.
- To recruit and train candidates qualified for public ministry and provide for their continuing education so that the Word of God is proclaimed faithfully and effectively in accord with the Lutheran Confessions.
Spiritual growth is “job number one” and the soul of our work. We will not be satisfied with anything but the best efforts at sharing God’s truth. Our desire for excellence in the ministry of the Word leads us to encourage one another to continue to grow spiritually by regular study of the Word in an individual and personal way and also in a formal, organized way.
WELS Adult Discipleship provides resources for individuals and congregations nationwide. Consider supporting these ministries with your prayers and gifts.