Giving opportunity continues in 2017 . . . and beyond

If you’re 70.5 or older, you can make qualified charitable distributions (QCDs) from your IRA to your church, synod, and other WELS organizations without counting the distributions as income for federal tax purposes. WELS member Alan Kohlhaas says the process is “very smooth.” “One check sent directly to WELS from my IRA holder counts as part of the required minimum distribution, but no taxes are paid on the transfer. The QCD also allows me to maximize the donation and use the standard deduction on my tax return.” Learn more at or by calling your local WELS Christian giving counselor.