Disunity in congregational life

I have been a WELS member my whole life. I am having issues with my church at the moment. If I have a problem, I am supposed to talk to that person, according to Mathew 18. Hard as it is, I would like to talk to my pastor, but he and the church council are involved in the problem. Who do I seek counsel with? I am lost. I don't know what to do. I believe they have lied and been sneaky to do things their way. I don't even know if I can talk to my pastor in a calm manner. I am truly saddened. I type these words with a heavy heart. What do I do?

You have noted correctly that you need to talk to the person involved: your pastor. If you believe he has done something wrong, then Matthew 18:15 instructs you to speak to him. While it could be a difficult conversation, as you suggest, it is the right conversation to have. Speaking to your congregation’s board of elders would be your next course of action. If those conversations do not yield positive and appropriate results, you could contact your circuit pastor. He serves as a representative of your district president to help at times like these.

Disunity in a congregation is definitely disconcerting. It runs contrary to God’s design for the communal life of his children. When sin disrupts unity, sin needs to be addressed. That applies to everyone in the church.

“How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” (Psalm 133:1). Christian unity is a gift and blessing from God. Do what you can to restore and maintain that unity in your congregation. Pray for your pastor and your church leaders. I will do the same. God bless you.